JOB TITLE: Assistant Librarian / Circulation Clerk
Document created 1/26/04, updated 6/1/16 approval pending Position Summary:
Position responsibility is to assist in the daily operations of the library by providing assistance to patrons.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
May perform some, several or all of the following duties:
- Serves the public at the circulation desk by checking out and checking in library materials, collecting fines, issuing library cards (data entry), explaining and implementing library policies, and answering telephone, etc.
- Utilizes the Library’s computer system for various circulation services and functions.
- Shelves library materials.
- Processes, withdraws, repairs, or reconditions library materials.
- Assists with library programs and displays.
- Assist patron with ready-reference questions and reader advisory, bibliographic instruction and database searching.
- Handles monetary transactions with accuracy.
- Sort, pack and unpack courier materials.
- Processes interlibrary loans (ILLs) and hold requests.
- Assists patrons with mechanical operations of library equipment.
- Shares responsibility for the smooth running of the circulation desk, including maintaining a prompt and reliable attendance record.
- Perform other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
Education, Experience Requirements:
- Minimum requirements: High School Diploma.
- Some higher education advantageous.
- One year successful, continuous work experience.
- General knowledge of libraries or willingness to learn them.
- Computer skills (word processing, data entry, spreadsheet).
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
- Public service orientation.
- Bilingual skills desirable.
- Follow library policies and procedures.
- Respectful and pleasant to patrons and co-workers.
- Completes work in timely manner while maintaining quality, accuracy, reliability and thoroughness of work.
- Follow guidelines on confidentiality of records.
- Punctual and suitably attired.
Physical Demands of Position:
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, and stooping.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Handling: processing, picking up and shelving and books.
- Fingering: typing, writing, filing, sorting, shelving and processing.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
Ordinary office equipment is to be used (computers, copier). Position requires some evening and Saturday morning hours.
The employee at this position may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the library director. All requirements are subject to change and possible modification over time.